What is a Thai Massage?
It consists of an oil-free, fully clothed yoga-like massage, which uses passive stretching and pressure along the body’s energy lines to increase flexibility, stimulate blood circulation, relieve muscle and joint tension, and balance the body’s energy systems. Traditional Thai massage is really a deep, full-body treatment, starting at the feet and progressing up to the head.
Thai massage may be known among travelers as painful and thus refrain some people to try it. CNN even wrote an article on “How to get a Thai massage in Bangkok without getting hospitalized.” But don’t worry, it can be done to anyone. Of course, there are some contra-indications to this kind of massage but very much those that apply to massage in general. Anyone in reasonably good health, regardless of age, lack of flexibility and obesity, can benefit from Thai massage. Just make sure to mention to your masseur if you already have any existing pain before starting.
Thai massage consists of two parts:
- Pressing: It is the mechanical process used to stimulate energy flow and to release blockages or stagnation which result in pain.
- Stretching: The massage finishes then by large scale stretches for which Thai massage is famous. Every muscle and joint is treated.
What are the benefits of a Thai Massage?
Many and at different scales:
Physical Benefits of Thai Massage:
- Help detoxification of the body and boost immune system
- Increase blood circulation, lower blood pressure
- Good for muscle relaxation, increase flexibility in your muscles, increase mobility
- Improve breathing
- Improve prosture, balance, correct body alignments and dissolve energy blockages
- Help arthritis and back pain
- Help tone the body, strengthen joints and fight diseases, including chronic joint problems
- Prevent illnesses and alleviates degenerative diseases
Mental Benefits of Thai Massage:
- Help with concentration and creativity- mind and body concentration
- Clear and calm your mind
- Help you gain mental clarity
Psychological effects of Thai Massage:
- Reduce and relieve stress and anxiety
- Help people boost their inner energy levels
- Develop discipline and self-control
- Achieve better health
- Raise the energy level and stamina
- Build internal power
If you are willing to have a Thai massage in Bangkok, I recommand you those two places where staff is professional and rooms clean and nice for only 350 Bahts for 1 hour: Ruen Nuad Massage Studio (Silom) and Urban Retreat Spa (Sukhumvit, Asoke).
If you know any other nice places in Thailand, please feel free to share it here.